.Types of Music License
Well once again we have compiled a little more info on some catagories of music licensing. we are trying to help promote music and the education of our artist. If you would like to collaborate maybe share some thoughts feel free to add a comment. Would love to hear from our fellow artist, music libraries
Master Use Sound Recording Licenses
Usage: License master audio recording with no use of visual synchronization.
- Audio Projects
- Composition and Sound Recordings
- Master Ringtone (Pre-Recorded music which play actual clips from sound recordings.)
- Music Compilation (CD, DVD, PC Audio)
- Public Space (Restaurants, Trade shows, Retail spaces)
- Radio Ad or Production
- Sampling, Remixes, Covers and Derivative Works
- Telephone or Music On Hold
Print Rights Licensing
Usage: Generally sheet music, song folios, scores or notation in any printed or digital form released for sale. Once sold, printed music earns royalties from the print rights license which the publisher negotiated.
- Scores or notation
- Sheet music
- Song folios
Sync and Master Licenses
Usage: Use of master in synchronization with visual for film, games, video, etc.
- Corporate, Theater and Competition (unless no visual media is used)
- Film Sync License
- Games and Software
- Internet Website, Flash
- Products and Toys
- Single Units (Wedding video, small quantity for profit)
- Slide Show or PowerPoint
- Software – Multimedia, All platforms, any use
- TV Advertising
- TV Show Sync License
- Video (Music for Video, DVD or CDROM)
Usage: No sync or master, only license to record and sell the song’s composition.
Basic Mechanical Royalty application: A mechanical right is the right to record and distribute (without visual images) a song on a phonorecord (e.g. CD) for private use. Mechanical rights or a mechanical license must be obtained in order to lawfully make and distribute records, CD’s and tapes.
- Phonic Ringtones – Ringtones using standard MIDI sound files
There are two basic types of ringtones:
Phonic Ringtones and Pre-Recorded Ringtones.
- Phonic Ringtones are (most commonly) standard MIDI sound files that are either monophonic, where the ringtones are recreated using standard single notes, or polyphonic where notes can be played simultaneously creating harmony and/or counterpoint.
- Pre-Recorded ringtones play actual clips from sound recordings. It should be noted that the term ‘Pre-Recorded ringtone’ is not the standard (industry wide) term. They are also known as Trutones, Songtones, Master Ringtones, etc.
Personal Use Licenses
Usage: Non commercial usage, may be sold as retail product, offered for promotion or evaluation for commercial licensing purposes.
- Free Demo – for promo or commercial project evaluation only.
- Personal Use – typical retail sales application. May not be used for any commercial projects OR purpose requiring other kinds of licenses.
Performance Rights Licensing
Application and Usage: The public performance rights most commonly collected via the Performance Rights Organizations such as ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SOCAN, PRS and other PROs around the world. Their fundamental job it is to keep track of every single performance or broadcast of all works protected under copyright. Common uses include Film, TV and Radio broadcasting among many other public and live audience venue performances.
Mixed Usage, Special Licenses
- Custom License – publisher/buyer negotiated according to exact usage, for example, blanket, per-program, exclusive or foreign rights deals, etc.
- Stock Music License – some restrictions normally apply and vary according to publisher
If your looking to get an idea on some music to use feel free to visit one of the many places to utilize our music. There is a small guitar oriented library and catalog as well as a larger cata log to sample thru with more genres. Please also feel free to add your thoughts, comments and ideas that might help your fellow musical brothers and sisters in the journey to get their music out there.
Wolfies Music Publishing Store